Skip to main content

The Other Woman by Sandie Jones



Rating
4.5/5 stars

Genre
Fiction - Suspense

Summary
She looks beautiful in her wedding dress. It fits her perfectly and is exactly what I'd imagined she'd go for: elegant, understated, and unique—just like her. My heart breaks that her days will never come, but she doesn't need to know that yet. I think about the guests who won't attend, the picture frames with no photographs, the first dance that will be silent, the cake that won't get eaten, and I feel my resolve weakening. I pull myself up. This is not a time for doubt. There is still so much work to do, so much more pain to inflict, but I will not be deterred. I failed once before, but this time, I'll get it right. There's too much at stake to get it wrong.
(from the Prologue of The Other Woman by Sandie Jones)

When Emily meets Adam, they quickly fall for each other and make plans for their future together. All appears fine and dandy until Emily meets her future mother-in-law, Pammie, and is left wondering why it seems as if she is always trying to undermine her and leave her out. But what once bothered her soon seems trivial compared to what she is about to endure because it seems as if Pammie will stop at nothing to make sure Emily doesn't end up with her son.

Review
This book was excellent! It makes the stereotypical mother-in-law look tame! I just finished it and am still trying to process everything. I really appreciate the time the author put in to establishing Emily and Adam's relationship, as well as Adam and his mother's relationship. It helped me connect with the characters and their reasons for doing the things they did. I had tons of emotions going on throughout—sympathy, frustration, fury, and everything in between. At different parts of the books, I had a thorough dislike for each character. They were each awful while also being super likable at other points, and I mean this as a positive. This book had some serious twists that left me going "WHAT?!" I pretty much could not have guessed any of the things that ended up happening in the end. I love when a book sucks me in like that and leaves me wondering what in the world I just read! I highly suggest adding this one to your list if it's not already on there. I think this will be one that people will be talking about for the rest of 2018!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 star books

Here are six books I've read so far this year that I've given a 5 star rating to. I highly recommend each one! I've linked each to Amazon for ease of finding. The Woman in Cabin 10  by Ruth Ware What Alice Forgot  by Liane Moriarty The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Defending Jacob by William Landay I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of the above books! Did you love them as well? Or maybe they weren't your favorite? Let's chat in the comments below! Happy Reading!

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

Rating 3/5 stars Genre Fiction - Suspense Goodreads Summary A novel of suspense that explores the complexities of marriage and the dangerous truths we ignore in the name of love. When you read this book, you will make many assumptions. You will assume you are reading about a jealous wife and her obsession with her replacement. You will assume you are reading about a woman about to enter a new marriage with the man she loves. You will assume the first wife was a disaster and that the husband was well rid of her. You will assume you know the motives, the history, the anatomy of the relationships. Assume nothing. Review I feel like I should preface this review by saying I've been on a major book hangover since reading The Light We Lost. Because of that, it was hard for me to pick up another book, and I feel like I probably didn't enjoy this as much as I normally would have. I have heard rave reviews about The Wife Between Us and have been so excited

The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo

Rating 5/5 stars Genre Fiction - Romance Goodreads Summary He was the first person to inspire her, to move her, to truly understand her. Was he meant to be the last? Lucy is faced with a life-altering choice. But before she can make her decision, she must start her story--their story--at the very beginning.  Lucy and Gabe meet as seniors at Columbia University on a day that changes both of their lives forever. Together, they decide they want their lives to mean something, to matter. When they meet again a year later, it seems fated--perhaps they'll find life's meaning in each other. But then Gabe becomes a photojournalist assigned to the Middle East and Lucy pursues a career in New York. What follows is a thirteen-year journey of dreams, desires, jealousies, betrayals, and, ultimately, of love. Was it fate that brought them together? Is it choice that has kept them away? Their journey takes Lucy and Gabe continents apart, but never out of each other's hearts.