Skip to main content

The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir



Rating
4/5 stars

Genre
Fiction - Contemporary

Summary
The Hicks have made quite a name for themselves as an upstanding, virtuous family with their own reality show, Six for Hicks. Father is the leader of a mega church; Mother gives off the image of perfection and maintains control in all situations. Their spotless reputation is suddenly at risk when Essie, their youngest daughter, winds up pregnant. Essie's mother, Celia, begins concocting up ideas of how to handle the "situation." Abortion? Arranged marriage? They'll do anything to cover it up and keep their image. However, Essie has her own idea of the direction this could possibly go and, with that, she stands to both lose and gain immensely. It turns out this isn't the only secret the Hicks family is trying to hide.

Review
I have to admit that the first thing that drew me to this book was the presumed similarity to the Duggar family and their television shows. This book was full of many surprises that kept me reading, wondering what could possibly happen next. Each character is either really quite lovable or painstakingly reprehensible, and they each have their own compelling perspective. I enjoyed this book greatly; however, there are a few difficult themes discussed throughout that some individuals may have an issue with. If you are planning to read this, be aware that it contains topics of abuse as well as different aspects of faith and beliefs. Overall, I found The Book of Essie to be enlightening, heartfelt, and captivating.

Author Meghan MacLean Weir's website



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

Rating 3/5 stars Genre Fiction - Suspense Goodreads Summary A novel of suspense that explores the complexities of marriage and the dangerous truths we ignore in the name of love. When you read this book, you will make many assumptions. You will assume you are reading about a jealous wife and her obsession with her replacement. You will assume you are reading about a woman about to enter a new marriage with the man she loves. You will assume the first wife was a disaster and that the husband was well rid of her. You will assume you know the motives, the history, the anatomy of the relationships. Assume nothing. Review I feel like I should preface this review by saying I've been on a major book hangover since reading The Light We Lost. Because of that, it was hard for me to pick up another book, and I feel like I probably didn't enjoy this as much as I normally would have. I have heard rave reviews about The Wife Between Us and have been so excited ...

Forever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Rating 4.5/5 stars Genre Fiction - Romance Goodreads Summary Have you ever heard of supernovas? They shine brighter than anything else in the sky and then fade out really quickly, a short burst of extraordinary energy. I like to think you and Ben were like that . . . in that short time, you had more passion than some people have in a lifetime. Elsie Porter is an average twentysomething and yet what happens to her is anything but ordinary. On a rainy New Year's Day, she heads out to pick up a pizza for one. She isn't expecting to see anyone else in the shop, much less the adorable and charming Ben Ross. Their chemistry is instant and electric. Ben cannot even wait twenty-four hours before asking to see her again. Within weeks, the two are head over heels in love. By May, they've eloped. Only nine days later, Ben is out riding his bike when he is hit by a truck and killed on impact. Elsie hears the sirens outside her apartment, but by the time she gets downstairs, ...