Skip to main content

Our Little Lies by Sue Watson

Rating
4.5/5 stars

Genre

Fiction - Thriller

Goodreads Summary
How far would you go to protect your perfect life? 

Marianne has a life others dream of. A beautiful townhouse on the best street in the neighborhood. Three bright children who are her pride and joy. 

Sometimes her past still hurts: losing her mother early, growing up in foster care. But her husband, Simon, is always there. A successful surgeon, he’s the envy of every woman they’ve ever met. Flowers, gifts, trips to France: nothing is too good for his family. 

Then Simon says another woman’s name. The way he lingers on it, Caroline , gives Marianne a shudder of suspicion, but she knows it’s nothing – she can’t entertain this flash of paranoia. 

In the old days, she’d have distracted herself by excelling at work, but Marianne left her glamorous career when she married. She’d speak to a friend, but she’s too busy with her children and besides, Simon doesn’t approve of the few she has left. 

It’s almost by accident that Marianne starts to learn more about Caroline. But once started, she can’t stop, because what she finds makes her wonder: is the question she should be asking not ‘should she be jealous’, but... ‘should she be scared?’ 

Fans of The Girl on the Train and I Let You Go, who are looking for a dark, gripping psychological thriller with a final twist to put their jaw on the floor, will love Our Little Lies. 

Review

I  really enjoyed this unique psychological thriller! I've read a lot of thrillers over the past few months and some of them start to blend together after awhile. But this book was a refreshing change, and I did not want to put it down! I was intrigued from the very beginning as I learned about Marianne and her life—her husband, her kids, her past and present. Everything was told from her perspective, and I could not figure out whether or not she was a trustworthy character. As I continued to read, all the other characters left me guessing as well. I went back and forth trying to figure out if my suspicions were accurate or completely off. Basically, everything that occurred took me by complete surprise! There were many times throughout this book that I thought to myself, "Wow, that was sneaky!" Everything was just so unexpected, well-thought-out, and superbly done. I would highly recommend this book to lovers of thrillers and suspense!

Author Sue Watson's website

Thanks to NetGalley & Bookouture for my Advanced Reader's Copy in exchange for an honest review.
This title is available as of October 11, 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir

Rating 4/5 stars Genre Fiction - Contemporary Summary The Hicks have made quite a name for themselves as an upstanding, virtuous family with their own reality show, Six for Hicks . Father is the leader of a mega church; Mother gives off the image of perfection and maintains control in all situations. Their spotless reputation is suddenly at risk when Essie, their youngest daughter, winds up pregnant. Essie's mother, Celia, begins concocting up ideas of how to handle the "situation." Abortion? Arranged marriage? They'll do anything to cover it up and keep their image. However, Essie has her own idea of the direction this could possibly go and, with that, she stands to both lose and gain immensely. It turns out this isn't the only secret the Hicks family is trying to hide. Review I have to admit that the first thing that drew me to this book was the presumed similarity to the Duggar family and their television shows. This book was full of many ...

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

Rating 3/5 stars Genre Fiction - Suspense Goodreads Summary A novel of suspense that explores the complexities of marriage and the dangerous truths we ignore in the name of love. When you read this book, you will make many assumptions. You will assume you are reading about a jealous wife and her obsession with her replacement. You will assume you are reading about a woman about to enter a new marriage with the man she loves. You will assume the first wife was a disaster and that the husband was well rid of her. You will assume you know the motives, the history, the anatomy of the relationships. Assume nothing. Review I feel like I should preface this review by saying I've been on a major book hangover since reading The Light We Lost. Because of that, it was hard for me to pick up another book, and I feel like I probably didn't enjoy this as much as I normally would have. I have heard rave reviews about The Wife Between Us and have been so excited ...

Forever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Rating 4.5/5 stars Genre Fiction - Romance Goodreads Summary Have you ever heard of supernovas? They shine brighter than anything else in the sky and then fade out really quickly, a short burst of extraordinary energy. I like to think you and Ben were like that . . . in that short time, you had more passion than some people have in a lifetime. Elsie Porter is an average twentysomething and yet what happens to her is anything but ordinary. On a rainy New Year's Day, she heads out to pick up a pizza for one. She isn't expecting to see anyone else in the shop, much less the adorable and charming Ben Ross. Their chemistry is instant and electric. Ben cannot even wait twenty-four hours before asking to see her again. Within weeks, the two are head over heels in love. By May, they've eloped. Only nine days later, Ben is out riding his bike when he is hit by a truck and killed on impact. Elsie hears the sirens outside her apartment, but by the time she gets downstairs, ...